Sunday, September 14, 2008

It was a good weekend

I have SO much I want to blog about. We have been busy busy this past 2 weeks and I am going to TRY and post everything I want to. So I might have 10 posts coming up soon and they might not be in order but I am excited to share what's been going on in our lives.

Tonight I went to the dedication of the memorial for the miners who died in the Crandall Canyon Mine. My dad was singing in the Glee Club as part of the program. I am glad that I went. I watched for days along with millions, and followed the news and updates and had hope for so long that they would be found alive. This was the first time I was apart of something live and saw the pain in the families eyes. There were hundreds of people there along with many news crews. The program was very touching and I found myself crying a few times. I felt so much heartache for those family members. One of the miners who was killed lived above Bry and I when we lived in the green apartments. I did not know until tonight, but he was only a miner for 11 days when the mine caved in on him. (crazy) Elder Ronald Rasband from the Presidency of the Seventy spoke along with Governor Jon Huntsman Jr. There were great musical numbers and 2 wives of the miners killed spoke as well. After one of the wife's was done she said my boys have something they want to say; she held up her two little boys and they said "Thank You" I am sure referring to those who helped make this memorial. Karen Templeton (the sculptor of the men) spoke and she did a great job. She told how she made the memorial 6 feet tall so that we could look the miners in the eye and told stories of how she got the men to look so precise. I felt a little sad for the family members who had the HUGE crowd while such a special thing was unveiled, at the same time I am glad I went. It was a neat experience. My dad has been working at Deer Creek mine for 25+ years and also with the loss of my mother (with so much talk of lost loved ones) it was an emotional night. 

  

Yesterday Joeys fiance' Lara went through the Manti Temple. It was a WONDERFUL day and very much enjoyed. I am SO grateful for the opportunity I have to go to the temple and this day was extra special because we had Bryan's family there to go with. Afterwards, we went to dinner at this Chinese restaurant in Ephraim that was OH SO YUMMY. We got to know Lara's parents and they are really nice and fun personality people. When we got done eating, Bry, Lara and I drove back to the temple to do more bridal pictures. The sun was going down so we made a mad dash from each picture site to the next. I have to say that Lara did really well running around in wedding dress and high heels. After all that excitement, we decided to go to the drive in move. I had not been since I was a little girl (I remember seeing Lady in the Tramp so that tells you how long ago) and I saw that 'Momma Mia' was playing and Lara and I thought it would be good. It was an ok movie. I liked  the story and I did enjoy music, but there was TOO MUCH singing. It was just fun to go to a drive in movie and to hang out with Joey and Lara. They are a lot of fun and I have enjoyed all the time we have spent together lately.

4 comments:

Lacy said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I loved mamma mia! Drive-ins are fun and it's been since we were first married that I have been to one.

Kalley said...

Mel,
I have to agree with you on the fact that Mama Mia did have just a bit much singing on it. Although, I did like it a lot and laughed quite a bit especially when Pierce Brosnan started singing. It's just such a different role for him and was hard for me to take him seriously.

Tammy said...

sounds like a fun and busy weekend.

Jeff and April said...

Hey Mel- life has been crazy lately- so I am trying to catch up on all I missed. I love reading your blog. I love how sweet and down to earth all your posts are. I smile the whole time I read what you have been up to. Luv ya!